- Exam Help
Sri Lanka - General Knowledge
Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
Flag Coat of arms
Flag Coat of arms
- Capital: Sri Jayawardenapura-Kotte - 6°54′N 79°54′E
- Largest city: Colombo
- National Tree: Na Tree (Ironwood) "Mesua Nagassarium”
- National Flower: Nil Mahanel flower “Nymphaea nouchali”
- National Bird: Jungle Fowl
- National Anthem: "Sri Lanka Matha" composed by late Mr. Ananda Samarakoon.
- Ethnic groups (2001):
≈5.2% Indian Tamil
- Demonym: Sri Lankan
- Government: Democratic Socialist Republic
- President Mahinda Rajapaksa
- Prime Minister D. M. Jayaratne
- Independence: from the United Kingdom
- Dominion (Self rule) February 4, 1948
- Republic May 22, 1972
- Total: 65,610 km2 (122nd)
25,332 sq mi
- Water (%): 4.4
- 2009 estimate 20,238,000 (53rd)
- July 2008 census 21,324,791
- Density 308.4/km2 (35th)
- Currency: Sri Lankan Rupee (LKR)
- Time zone: Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone (UTC+5:30)
- Internet top-level domain (TLD): .lk
- Calling code: 94
Longest Sri Lanaka
- Upper Kotmale Tunnel: 13 Km long tunnel of the Upper Kotmale Hydro Power Project. It takes water to the hydro power plant at Niyamgamdora from Talawakele, was incidentally the longest tunnel ever excavated in the country.
- Longest Railway Tunnel in Sri Lanka: Singimale Tunnel 559.75m. In between Hatton and Kotagala at Colombo - Badulla railway Tunnel No: 14.
- Longest Highway Tunnel in Sri Lanka: Ramboda Tunnel 225 m. at Ramboda – Nuwara Eliya road.
- Longest River in Sri Lanka: Mahaweli River. Length 335km (208 mi) Source-Adam's Peak, Destination-Trincomalee (Bay of Bengal).
- Longest Bridge in Sri Lanka (Now 2nd Longest): Kinniya Bridge. It links Horoi-Adi and Kinniya in Trincomalee.
- New Longest Bridge in Sri Lanka: Southern Expressway across the Benthara river. The bridge 695 metres in length, 17 metres in width is located at the 128 kilometre of Southern expressway from Kottawa to Matara in the Aviththawa area of the Galle district.